Monday, June 19, 2006

Anyways...or should I say Anyway...the Beta is a hit!

The title of today's blog requires a little background knowledge to fully understand it. Not so much on the Beta release being a hit, as that is pretty self-explanatory (over 1400 downloads in the last 2 weeks!), but rather the use of Anyways vs. Anyway. I happened to be at a cocktail party this past Saturday with the likes of Tim Lang (actually it was his place) and James Thomas, both fellow contributors to the Crystal Reports for Eclipse blog. At one point during the night the topic of conversation found its way to my blog posts. Apparently, my use of the word "anyways" has been slowly driving JT to the brink of insanity. This in itself, however very amusing (and somewhat enjoyable), is not that entertaining if it wasn't for the fact that my wife chastised me on my use of "anyways" only a few months back. I began to realize that maybe this was a serious thing. Maybe other people found it extremely irritating whenever I used this term (8 times on the current posts alone).

Now, I am the first to admit that the use of "anyways" may be considered slang or non-standard, however it's not like I am confusing my use of there (or their, or they're). I would imagine that JT would have a coronary if I started throwing in a few misuses of these words (or perhaps mispell definitely now and then). Such is the plight of a Marketing person who is forced to read a blog which allows Product Managers to post! However, doesn't the entire nature of blogs present itself as a forum to communicate on a less formal platform? The use of slang should not be shunned but instead encouraged as we open ourselves up to our readers. So in essence, every time I use "anyways" in my blog posts, it is my way of inviting everyone of my blog readers into my inner circle...my circle of trust so to speak.

Regardless, I still understand that their (yes this was on purpose...sorry JT) are Directors of Marketing or people with English Lit. degrees (aka "my wife") who feel a large amount of discomfort when reading incorrect English grammar. Unfortunately, my search for support groups in the Vancouver area which cater to the misuse of English slang in the written word proved fruitless. So, instead I thought I would do my bit to help alleviate some additional stress these people may encounter by reading the word "anyways" in a sentence. I have compiled a list of classic literature which includes the word "anyways" (thanks to www.thefreelibrary.com for the search engine). I would suggest that James, my wife, and anyone else who is easily offended by the use of "anyways" not read the following classics:

Charles Dickens
  1. Hard Times
  2. Great Expectations
  3. Bleak House
  4. The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby
  5. A Tale of Two Cities
  6. Barnaby Rudge - A Tale Of The Riots Of 'Eighty
  7. Little Dorrit
  8. Our Mutual Friend
  9. David Copperfield

Mark Twain
  1. Pudd'n'head Wilson
  2. Tom Sawyer
  3. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Herman Melville
  1. Moby Dick

Anne Bronte
  1. Agnes Grey

Rudyard Kipling
  1. Captains Courageous
  2. The Mutiny of the Mavericks

Joseph Conrad
  1. Heart of Darkness

George Eliot
  1. Silas Marner
  2. Adam Bede
By the way, for those of you keeping count, aside from the references I never used "anyways" once in the body of my blog entry....yet!

Anyways, until next time... :)

Sean

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, July 04, 2006, Blogger Adam Ellis said...

As always, this thing is getting better and better with every release. Here are a few points in no particular order that I've jotted down as evaluating the latest release:

* I'm kinda confused based off other things I've read what the official licensing requirements will be for deploying the Crystal Reports java viewer in a web application. In some places it sounds like we are free to use the technology for internal purposes, but if we are distributing the software to another party that we must buy a copy of Crystal Reports Developer for them. Other sources seem to suggest we need to just register the application with Business Objects. We are a custom programming shop and this uncertainty has prevented us from using Crystal in a few scenarios.

* I see the lines showing up indicating that two fields are aligned, but is there a way in the beta release to create a guideline to snap objects to? For example, in the stand-alone Crystal editions you click in the ruler to create the guideline and then snap everything to that. If you want to move everything that is snapped to it you can just drag the guideline itself.

* It would be cool if you could also generate a stand-alone viewer out of Eclipse for deployment without a Tomcat server. Something like a single JAR file that would contain everything you'd need to run a report.

* I found it kinda hard to create my data joins when I had several tables with lots of fields. It would be nice if the tables could have scroll bars and be resizable on the Data tab.

* It still looks like there is no support for left outer joins when linking tables. That is a big one for me.

* Is there a place I can edit the default fonts that are used when a new object is added to the canvas? Is it a style sheet?

* Is there a way to activate a ruler along the top of the page?

* I noticed the very cool addition of functions to this release. That will be *incredibly* helpful for me. Is the use of functions supported in the stand-alone Crystal XI?

* The new record filter window looks awesome!

I am pretty much in Crystal Reports full time and I cannot wait until I can switch over to this environment full time. It's getting pretty darn close.

Thanks,
Adam

 
At 9:55 AM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Sean said...

Hi Adam,
My apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I actually did not notice your comment until yesterday. I really appreciate your feedback and will use them when scoping out features for future releases. I do have some answers for some of the questions you have asked:

1) Pricing and Licensing - you can find more information around our pricing and licensing here: http://diamond.businessobjects.com/system/files/CR4E_Eclipse_PricingAndLicensing.pdf

2) Guidelines - Rulers / guidelines are not implemented in this release. It is expected that these features will be available in a future release

3) Stand-alone viewer - This is available today. You can check out the following article explaining how to do this: http://diamond.businessobjects.com/system/files/CR4Eclipse_CreatingThickClient.pdf

4)Left Outer Joins - This is possible today. Try clicking on the Join and viewing the Properties view. You should be able to change the Join type

5) Default fonts - Unfortunately this is not possible today. Another one of those great ideas that needs to be postponed to a future release

6) Rulers - see above (Guidelines) - not currently available.

7) Functions - Functions are available in Crystal Reports XI. You can create/edit them in the ‘Formula Workshop’ (under the ‘Report’ menu). The tree control on the left includes ‘Report Custom Functions’ – right click and create a new one.

Thanks again for all of the feedback Adam. We really appreciate it.

Regards,
Sean

 
At 4:15 AM, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've just seen that in the comment above you state that you support changing the join type between tables - however our version does not have this facility - is there perhaps a newer versions available somewhere?

Also, we're finding some reports generate different sql statements when using cr4e compared to the same report in the standalone report designer. Is this a known issue?

Many thanks,
Peter Day

 

Post a Comment

<< Home